Observations from the Powder Room

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Hey Mom, No Cavities!

So today was another big day, the first visit to the dentist. Last year during our open enrollment Mark and I decided it was time to sign the boys up for dental coverage. So now with the end of 2006 is fast approaching I thought I’d better find a dentist and set up an appointment.

Our pediatrician gave me the names of several pediatric dentists at the boys’ 3yr check up and although I searched high and low I couldn’t find the list. So I set out on an old fashion search, I sent an e-mail to the moms from the kids’ school and scanned the archives of one of my listservs, DC Urban Moms (and Dads) and found Dr. Leaf (http://www.leafkids.com/offices.php). The office was great, with a PacMac and mini carousel, the kids loved it. When it was time to go in for the check up it wasn’t quite so cheerful. We walked back to the exam area and when Sam saw the chairs he ran from the room and threw himself down on the floor.

Sam was pretty upset so Dylan went first. He sat in my lap and opened his mouth. He was very brave. He even had to have an x-ray of his chipped front tooth. Sam went next and things did not go as smoothly. Although he did open his mouth he cried and struggled throughout the exam. At one point Dylan came up to the chair and said, “Sammy, it’s OK, it doesn’t hurt.” It was very sweet and the dental techs both chuckled.

All in all it was a very good experience. No cavities and we go back in March.

If I thought like Mark I’d have remembered to bring the camera. Oh well, you’ll just have to use your imaginations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home